Me in Matera, Italy

Sunday 3 April 2011

Baby Love

There is a lot to be learned from babies.  They concern themselves with their basic needs and things that entertain them.  They live in the moment.  They let you love them and love you in return.  I admire the simplicity of their lives. 

I've been struggling with relationships lately. I've felt an inability to connect with those I love the most as a culmination of past hurts, present burdens and responsibilities and tremendous worry about the future.

Today I had a visit from my great-nephew.  It felt amazing to hold him, cuddle him and I did actually feel connected to him.  Maybe it's because my relationship with this baby is not complicated; I just love him, let him love me and enjoy the time we have together. 

How can I take the simplicity of this relationship into other relationships?  Is it possible to let go of past hurts, stop worrying about the future and just enjoy the moment and treasure the relationships I have and the people I love.  It's probably easier said than done and I'm not sure how to get from here to there but I do know that this baby reminds me that relationships are to be treasured.  It's time for some baby steps, time to live in this moment, time to love and be loved.  Maybe, just maybe, the rest will take care of itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment