Me in Matera, Italy

Wednesday 6 April 2011

Doing it over and over and over again

I was reading a blog about do-overs and I started thinking about how life is non-stop do-overs.  I do the same things over and over and over again.

This morning, for example, I washed my car and then today I proceeded to drive through humongous puddles and over dusty dirty roads so when I got home today I realized I would have to wash my car again.  But why wash my car when I will just have to do it again soon?

It's like cleaning the house...

The repetition of life can be discouraging yet do-overs are considered a good thing?  I'm confused.

Since I'm on this mission to turn my frown upside down, I've decided that I can use the repetitious nature of life to my advantage.  If part of life is doing things over and over again then there are so many opportunities to do things differently.  For example going to work CAN be pure monotony but it also could be a place to learn and grow.  I detest driving so driving from place to place feels like a chore BUT I love sight seeing so rather than driving like a maniac from place to place to get the driving over with maybe I should look around while I'm driving and take in my surroundings, see some sights perhaps.

Unfortunately I don't have magical powers to suddenly change the way I live my life or miraculously improve my attitude.  I certainly don't expect to suddenly become little miss sunshine but if I can do one mundane thing differently, have interest or find joy where I did not before then that's a good thing AND since I am doing things over and over and over again, I can just keep trying.  After all, it's progress not perfection I'm looking for.

1 comment:

  1. Progress, not perfection, is always a great goal. Driving to/from work is one of my favorite times. I can listen to a new CD from the library, or catch up on talk radio, or just savor the silence in the middle of my busy hustle and bustle day. :)

    ReplyDelete