Me in Matera, Italy

Thursday 21 April 2011

Checking Out!



I fell in love with Mexico the first time I went there.  A trip to Mexico is magical for me; it is medicine for my soul.  

This trip came just at the right time for me.  I have been really struggling lately, not coping well with the pressures and stresses of day-to-day life.  I really needed to simply check out.

My friend and I agreed that we were taking a vacation from our problems, checking out of our lives here so we left reality at the international airport and went away for a week of relaxation, sunshine and fun.  Mission accomplished!  This vacation was the exact opposite of my life ~ no worries, no pressure, no stress.  I loved every minute of it.

I feel like a different person when I'm away from all of this.  As I laid on the beach one early morning listening to the sound of the waves, feeling the warmth of the sun and the sand and marveling at the beauty all around me I couldn't help but wonder how I could bring just a little of this feeling into my every day life.   
 
It felt anxious and worried checking out of our hotel in Mexico with the thoughts of checking back into life here and as I was driving home from the airport I was panic-stricken by racing thoughts of my brother's illness, my mother's aging, my daughter's strife, my challenges at work and home, Kasha being gone ... And then I took a deep breath and reminded myself that I can't deal with all of that today.  I can't solve all of these problems.  All I can do is take one step and then another and live in this moment.

I'm home now and guess what, the world did not crumble down around me while I was gone.  Everyone managed just fine without me.  I look outside and I see that the sun is shining and it's a good day.  So I'm taking myself off this couch and away from this computer to live this day and enjoy this moment that I'm in ~  a little less stressed and a lot more relaxed and able to cope with checking back in.

No comments:

Post a Comment