Me in Matera, Italy

Tuesday 5 April 2011

A dog's life

Mylo
This little girl, Mylo, is my sunshine on a rainy day.  When I'm at home, she's my constant companion whether she is sitting beside me on the couch or following me around or lying at the foot of my bed.

I'm not even sure why Mylo likes me.  Yes I feed her but I almost never walk her in the winter.  I try to be sure her water dish is always full but I don't play with her that often.  So what's in it for her?  She just seems to want to be with me which is hard to understand when I don't even want to be with me!

According to the chinese zodiac, I was born in the year of the metal dog perhaps that's why I have such a strong affinity with my doggie.  I do feel like I live up to the characteristics of a metal dog ~ faithful, sincere and giving; a loyal companion; yet, can be judgmental, defensive and holds a grudge.   I've often been told that I need to soften around the edges.  I think that's a fair comment.

When life feels hard, it sure feels good to have this loyal companion around.  She's a cockapoo but she doesn't have the hyperactivity of a poodle, at all.  I feel her calmness and acceptance of me.  She certainly never judges or holds a grudge.  She appears to go with the flow.  She seems to be okay with me just the way I am.  I wonder what the world looks like through her eyes?  I wonder what it would feel like to live life as a dog, even just for one day? 

My objective in this blog is to learn to appreciate the world around me and as I do that I'm hoping that I will become a kinder, gentler version of me.  I'd like to be calmer, "softer around the edges" I guess you could say. 

“Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you’re never friendless ever, if you have a dog.”

No comments:

Post a Comment